Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Signs of Spring!

Warmer temperatures are here, green grass is appearing, very windy days and nights, allergies, dandelions and even a baby snake in the sunroom are sure signs of spring in Texas!  We have not received rain in a long time - actually we going through a mini-drought. 


This year we decided (actually, my husband decided) not to have a vegetable garden. Last year it was exciting to see our plants grow and to taste the juicy vegetables, but in dry hot Texas you have to be totally committed to your garden.  And we were not.  Travel, work and forgetfulness got in the way.


Enter grandma!  She is visiting for a week (did I mention she lives in Costa Rica and boasts about her bountiful garden?),  and yesterday had the boys planting tomatoes, broccoli, flowers and herbs in containers so that it is all more manageable.


Now 8-year old Samuel is in charge of watering and all other gardening duties!!!



Thank God for grandmas!!

I think this is a great introduction to the Spring Nature Study that we plan to begin next week.

8 comments:

Barb said...

Most of our garden last year was in containers on the deck because we have expensive water here in our part of CA. We had to go to using far less water and the pots were the solution. Gardening is such a great way to keep nature study close to home!

Great job and I enjoyed seeing your photos. Thanks for sharing your link with the OHC.

Dorla said...

Thanks for replying. I hope we are able to share more links with the OHC.
Dorla

Susan said...

Growing your own fresh vegetables is such a great thing! But, you're so right...it takes a lot of commitment...we're always looking for ways to make it easier. The containers seem like a good compromise.

Unknown said...

Yum! Something about growing your own veggies that makes them taste that much better! My oldest has planned our raised veggie garden and my youngest is doing a flower garden (because dinner looks better with a bouquet LOL). Stopping by from Handbook of Nature Study Signs of Spring!

Jessy

Robin Sampson said...

Motivating photos. I can't wait to get my hands dirty.

Robin Sampson said...

Motivating photos. I can't wait to get my hands dirty.

Amanda said...

Just found your sweet little blog through Barb and the OHC.

Oh how we love dirt!
One of my favorite things when spring finally comes is to get my hands in the dirt and plant!

Great photos with a great post!

Kristi said...

Oh, I am so jealous of your dirt! Love that you are gardening with kids. Wonderful. :)