Friday, April 15, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



In my life this week…
Allergies! I have not slept well all week. Every morning I have a Benadryl hangover and I hate it. Time to stop eating again...
We also had a very bad storm blow through and knock down 5 or 6 of our trees.  It was a scary dark time taking shelter in the bathroom!
In our homeschool this week…
Samuel is really enjoying A Child's Geography: Explore the Holy Land. We are "visiting" Israel and it is fantastic. Another trip we need to save up for.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Last night we went to a live performance of "As You Like It", a play by William Shakespeare.  Samuel sat through it (2 hours) without a complaint.


In a few hours we are going camping!
My favorite thing this week was…
Seeing the bright blue, clear sky after the howling winds of a storm. I don't like storms....but it's Spring!
What’s working/not working for us…
Simply Charlotte Mason curriculum guide is working very well for us. I even added Spelling Wisdom, and Samuel and I both liked it very much.
Mythology is not working for me.  Actually, I have skipped it all together because I cannot find the right children's book for it.  I want one with appropriate illustrations and a short summary. No details, please.  We can learn details when he is older, or maybe never.  Studying Ancient Greece without it is OK.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
Timez Attack is fantastic and I learned about it through connecting with moms through this journal!


Can someone help me with an appropriate ancient Greece book on mythology? My son will be 9 next month.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Take a look at my Pre-piano 2 class - all 5 year olds learning to play the piano.  In this video they are playing the root melody while I play the song on the piano. Fun!

7 comments:

dpm said...

I really like Greek Mythology. Send Samuel over here and I'll do it with him.

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

Storms...as I type one is blowing in. Uggh...:)

I can remember having a hard time with Greek Mythology when my kids were younger- we skipped it and came back to it when they were older. We used D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths at some point but it's been awhile so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. You can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Greek-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/0440406943

Hope you have a great time and beautiful weather for your camping trip! :)

Heather said...

My 9 year old loves Percy Jackson. We are finishing the 2nd novel together. Also, we are reading Greek Gods and Goddesses by Geraldine McCaughrean. I am just sure to read these with him so I can answer questions and remind him that it is all fiction. It is an example of how people knew there had to be more than meets the eye to creation and our world, so they tried to think up the answers.

Mrs. O said...

Wow, excellent post! Sounds like a crazy storm I would not like that!

Good call on the Mythology, I agree.

Camping!! So jealous, enjoy, have fun for all of us!

Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from the hop.
:O)

Becca said...

THANK YOU for sharing about Timez Attack! Checking into it for my 9YO and it looks like she will love it.

Heather Truckenmiller said...

Stopping by from the HMJ linky...No suggestions for the green mythology though, sorry! My kids got into the Percy Jackson series (they are all teens) and learned a lot of the mythology from them! :-)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the link to your other site. I am currently looking for some sort of program for my eight year old daughter. Music is more of an elective in our house, but I enjoy exposing her to it.

We had two bad storms come through this week. I agree it's not fun taking shelter in your bathroom. Babydoll, the cat, the dog, and I were all crowded in there several times this week.