Thursday, August 20, 2009

Week in Review - Unit 2

Samuel has been doing an awesome job in second grade! I have been learning a lot too...

This week we learned about John Cabot and his journeys, we studied the different beaks of birds and how they help them get their food and learned the 2nd verse of our hymn of the month "Holy, Holy, Holy".
The memory verse for this unit was Proverbs 11:2 and during Bible Study we studied the character trait 'humility'. Samuel even put it into practice while playing with his friends, which I did not know until we had our Bible discussion the following day and he shared. Instead of talking about his accomplishments when a friend shared hers, he said 'congratulations'. Nice.
In this picture you see his experiment. He had to guess whether the egg would float on fresh water or salt water. The answer? Salt water because it is more dense. He guessed wrong and was totally amazed at the floating egg!
Cursive, English, Dictation, Math, Literature, Poetry and Art are part of our weekly rotation, but I will share more of that in another post.

2 comments:

GrOwTh SpUrTs said...

Hi there! My name is Shelly. I found your blog through Googling Heart of Dakota. We are a homeschool family and we are using Heart of Dakota for the second year. My son is 7 and we are doing Bigger Hearts this year. And my two daughters are 4 and 2 and they are doing Little Hands. I enjoy seeing what HOD activities and lessons you are doing with your son. And I just wanted to de-lerk myself and say hello!!

Daisy said...

How exciting! You are ahead of me. I love reading what is coming up next. Sounds like so much fun is happening at your house.

And what beautiful boys!